It’s that moment we’ve all experienced in home shopping. You find the photo of the perfect home, with gorgeous sparkling kitchens, wood throughout & that adorable mud room built-in, only to be sent into sticker shock when you see the price compared to the size of the lot.
That was what encouraged my husband & I to decide to buy our 90’s, brass doorknob sportin’, ugly kitchen home. It had lots of character that we could work with & the layout was great but man that kitchen was ugly! With solid surface counters, 20 year old appliances & a bar that was impossible to actually sit at, it needed some “sprucing” (well really a sledgehammer) but I digress.
Today, I’m sharing the before and after photos of our first home project we took on, our kitchen renovation.
Here’s What We Did:
- Kitchen layout
- The cabinet surrounding the oven
- Floating shelves
- Light fixtures and pendants
- Farmhouse sink
Redesigning the Kitchen
When planning our cabinets, Mike Terry at Cherokee Custom Homes took measurements of our new proposed cabinet dimensions and we discussed the types of drawer space I was looking for. Specifically, I wanted a drawer for spices, a drawer for pans, a pull-out trash can drawer near the sink, and deep drawers for large pots under the stove.
I also really wanted open shelving for my cake stands and flour and sugar jars so we discussed centering up the vent hood and then extended the counter space out a few feet to allow for open shelving and more counter space.
Once discussed and sketched out, we received a digital mock-up of our new kitchen cabinets with all of the dimensions.
To add to our counter space and sight lines, we cut down the old bar area to counter height and made it flush with the rest of the counter space.
Michael and I took on all the demo, backsplash tiling and hanging light fixtures and left the rest to the experts.
Shop the Look
- Counters – Cashmere Carrara Quartz
- Farmhouse Sink – 33″ GRIGHAM REVERSIBLE FIRECLAY FARMHOUSE SINK from Signature Hardware
- Light fixtures – Carmen 4-Light Lantern Geometric Pendants in Antique Silver Leaf from Wayfair
- Backsplash – Pure Snow White Shiny Glass Tile from Floor and Decor
- Cabinet paint- Repose Gray by Sherwin Williams
- Open Shelving – Gold Metal Shelf Brackets from World Market
- Drawer Pulls – Lowes
- Spice drawer – Rev-a-Shelf Organizer
- Pan drawer – Rev-a-Shelf Pan Drawer Organizer
- Trash Pull Out – Rev-a-Shelf Pull Out Waste Container